However, extraction is a routine treatment it is important to who takes the tooth out and how the treatment goes. At our clinic, oral surgeons extract problematic teeth and we provide maximum care to our patients before and after the procedure.
We know the fears that our patients experience before extractions. If you need to have a tooth out we can ensure that you will be treated by our caring and skillful colleagues who will solve your toothache without any stress and complications in no time.
Before tooth extraction
There are some things to do before extraction to avoid later discomfort, and complications and make the treatment easier. The followings are essentials before tooth extraction:
- Thorough brushing and flossing
- Scale and polish carried out by our dental hygienists
These dental hygiene instructions and treatments aim dental hygiene instructions and treatments is to achieve a bacteria-free environment as possible to avoid bacteria getting into the wound.
Apart from brushing, using mouthwash is also important before extraction. It is also recommended to avoid smoking and alcohol a few days before and after the treatment.
There are some areas that we need to pay attention to after extraction. Our oral surgeon will do her best in supporting your healing after the treatment but to achieve the best results you also need to cooperate in many ways.
What do we need to pay attention to after extraction:
- Spitting, rinsing and sucking the wound are not allowed.
- Avoid eggs, milk and dairy for 2-3 days.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Do not bend or do exercises.
- Avoid heavy lifting.
- Oozing is normal, in this case, sit down and bite on a piece of gauze.
- You can put a cold compress on your face in the extraction area. This will reduce post-operative pain and swelling.
- In 99% of cases it is not necessary, but if indicated you can take painkillers based on your dentist's instructions.
It is important to follow these instructions to avoid post-operative complications such as dry sockets. If you have strong pain 1-2 days after the extraction, it means that you have a dry socket.
A dry socket means that you lose the blood clot that was formed after the extraction (because you were rinsing or spitting) and the bone is not covered anymore. Smoking can also cause dry sockets. In this case, it is important to see your dentist.
The procedure of tooth extraction
- we thoroughly clean the surrounding area of the tooth to avoid infections
- we gently loosen the tooth and extract it
- a blood clot will form in the socket where the tooth was
- the clot protects the bone and stops bacteria get into the wound
- we place a disinfectant tablet and a special sponge into the socket that stabilizes the blood clot
- to support healing and protect the wound we seal it with a few stitches
- a week after the extraction we remove the stitches and examine the wound
- the next step is planning the replacement of the extracted tooth if necessary
The whole procedure of extraction is carried out under local anesthesia and it is painless.
Replacing the extracted tooth
If your tooth was not removed for orthodontic reasons but due to poor prognosis, periodontal disease or pain, it is recommended to consider replacing it. It is important to replace the gap as soon as possible so the implant/bridge can take over the position and functions of the extracted tooth.
The gap can cause serious negative effects on the mouth if it is not replaced in time. Teeth are part of our entire body system and important elements of the arches, therefore their loss can cause short- as well as long-term problems.
Replacement of missing teeth is easier straight after extraction. Please read our articles related to tooth replacement for more information.
We are looking forward to seeing you at our clinic!
Ask for the help of our dentists and oral surgeons in the painless and fast extraction of your problematic tooth. Our team's experienced, prepared and always kind members are happy to help you with the best of their competence, care and attention. Sign up online for a dental check-up, fast and easy!